Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Mustard Seeds

David and I are blessed to be able to teach children's church for Elizabeth's class one Sunday a month.  This past Sunday, our lesson was on the parable of the mustard seeds.  Of course, the plans suggested showing the kids actual seeds, and I heartily agreed.  So, at 10 p.m. Saturday night I headed to the grocery store in search of the seeds...and a few other groceries.  (Yes I'm a huge procrastinator.  I could use the busy week before as an excuse, but it really just comes down to procrastination.)

I got into the grocery store, found all the great deals I wanted, and then remembered the seeds.  I headed over to the aisle and found the spices.  Woohoo, there was a section for mustard seeds...even in a little jar, like I wanted.  I didn't want to waste money on a big jar.  What else am I going to use them for?  Awww, crud!  The bin for whole mustard seeds was empty.  I searched around the area to see if perhaps some were placed in the wrong bin.  I prayed.  "God, I really want to find these seeds.  I want to have them for the kids.  Please let them be here!"  I searched some more.  I prayed some more.  There were no mustard seeds to be found.  "Okay, God, you must have something else planned for the lesson.  Please let me know what it is."

I checked out and headed home.  I reached up to the spice cabinet to put something away.  As  I looked up, in the very front, I saw a clear jar with small round yellowish balls.  It couldn't be, could it?  I pulled down the jar and read the top.  "Mustard Seeds"  I just laughed and thanked God.  Here in my spice cabinet was an unopened jar of mustard seeds.  It should have been buried in the back of the cabinet, since I never use it.  The jar was part of a set of spices we received for our wedding almost seven years ago.  I have been telling myself I need to go through the spices and get rid of some of the old ones.  I guess procrastination does pay off once in a while.  ;-)

Thank you, Father, that you provide what I need and not always what I ask.

1 comment:

HollyMarie said...

This is great! Love it!