Saturday, June 28, 2008

It's Just an Ordinary Tuesday, Until...

Elizabeth and I are trying to watch a video online, but it keeps shutting the computer down. STUPID COMPUTER! (But I don’t say that because “stupid” is a bad word in our house.) The phone starts ringing. Well, at least that gives me something to do while I’m waiting for the computer to start up again. I jump up to get the phone. Who is this calling? I don't recognize the number, but I know the area code. Could it be K? (our social worker) It is! She must just calling to update us with information we had asked about a couple weeks ago.

“I have some good news for you,” she says. My breath catches...could this really be THE CALL? But it's too soon? I ask, “Is it REALLY good news?” She laughs and says YES! For a moment, I think I should ask her to wait, so I can call David to come home. But she goes on to tell me she has a referral for me for a little boy. And, oh, when we see his picture we are just going to love him. Then she shares all the details she has, reading off the referral page. She is sending an email with his picture RIGHT NOW, but is expecting another picture later. Unfortunately she would be out of the office until later tonight, so she'll send the other picture then. No big deal, I think. As long as we have one picture. (YEAH RIGHT! What was I thinking?)

As soon as I get off the phone, I call David at work. No answer, so I leave a message. "Call me back AS SOON AS YOU GET THIS!" I try calling again, thinking maybe he is avoiding the phone like he sometimes does. No answer. The whole time, I’m refreshing my email watching for THE email. I decide I won’t open it until he David gets home, but I want to make sure it is in the inbox. I try calling one last time. No answer! Okay...forget it. I'm not waiting for him! I'm opening it as soon as it gets here. But still no email. AGGGHHH! I decide to tell Elizabeth the news, even though I was going to wait to tell her and David together. I have to tell someone!

A few minutes later David calls back. I ask him if he could come home NOW! He says sure, but what is this about. Did we get a referral? "Just come HOME!" STILL no email! What is going on? Our SW is leaving the office. I wonder if I can call the other SW and have her email it to us. (It's only been 10 minutes!) Why is it taking so long for David to get here? I call my mom because I'm going crazy. Finally, David pulls up. Just as he arrives, the email appears in the inbox. (Who says God doesn’t have a sense of humor?) Apparently, David didn't catch my sense of urgency. He checks the mail. He drives up the driveway and goes to the bathroom. WHAT?

David comes out, and Elizabeth says, “I’m getting a brother!” Then she starts jumbling the facts together, though she amazingly remembers them ALL. Finally, after what has seemed like hours, at least to me, we sit down and see our sweet boy. Aww! He’s beautiful. We both comment on his eyes first. I say he looks like an Egyptian prince. David says we are in trouble when he grows up! I know it’s going to be a LONG wait until K gets home and sends us the other picture!!!

4 comments:

Lori Inman said...

Great story! So Excited for you. Love the new design.

Dawn said...

So VERY excited for you!!!!!!

HollyMarie said...

So cute! Your excitement is just oozing out of your post. :) Did you ever get the second picture? :)

Demarie said...

Holly, we did the get other picture about 8:45pm that night :-) It ended up being the same picture, just in color...but he was even more cute in color, so it was still good!