Each year we try to get the kids ornaments to add to the tree. This year, Elizabeth and Josiah decided they wanted to make their own. I had found a Shrinky Dink kit a few weeks ago and thought that would make some neat ornaments. The kids were intrigued! Josiah quickly decided he wanted a Rescue Pack ornament--big surprise, right? ;-) Elizabeth took a little more time to choose, but decided she wanted to make a star. We chose a few other patterns to make as gifts.
I printed out the images we needed to trace. I traced the Rescue Pack onto the plastic for Josiah and then he colored it.
Elizabeth traced her star shape onto the plastic and then colored it in. She said she chose a Christmas star and wanted to hang it near the top of the tree because as star is what pointed the Wise Men to Jesus. She decided to add words to her star, so I had her use marker to write the words on a piece of paper. Then we flipped the paper over, and she could trace the words backward on her plastic.
The kids chose a candy cane shape as a gift for Grandma Baber and a Mario for cousin A.J. I traced the images. Both kids colored the candy cane. Elizabeth colored the Mario as Josiah was working on another gift for A.J. Then into the toaster oven they went. I forgot how quickly it works and how much they shrink!
Both Josiah and Elizabeth did a great job! I like the idea of making a yearly tradition out of making their ornaments. (We do still have to figure out what to make for Isaac this year!)

No comments:
Post a Comment