Thursday, November 5, 2009

My sweet girl

SOOO much to be thankful for right now, and always!!! Tonight I'm especially thankful for my sensitive, sweet daughter.

We had Elizabeth's first parent-teacher conference this evening. The teacher went on and on about how much of a joy Elizabeth is, and how she is such a good friend to all of the kids in the class. She gave the example that today they had a visit from a vet with a large dog. One of the boys was afraid, so he stayed off to the side. But when the vet let the kids listen to the dog's heartbeat, he wanted to join. Elizabeth went over and offered to hold his hand so he wouldn't be scared.

While we were discussing some other topics, she said that one day Elizabeth came back from Library, obviously agitated by something. The teacher couldn't remember exactly what it was, but said something about race and families coming together in all different ways.

When we came home, I asked Elizabeth about the Library thing. Was there a video or story? It took a minute for her to remember, but then she was upset. She said they watched a short video about a black girl who went to a school that had only been for white children. Some of the white children stopped coming to the school because the other little girl was there. Finally, someone said they could all go to school together. She started crying. I asked her if she was upset and why. She said she was sad because the black children and white children couldn't be friends. We talked very simply and briefly about past race relations in the U.S. I told her that I am very glad we live in this time when the laws have changed so everyone can go to school together, be friends, be family. She agreed, but stayed solemn and thoughtful for a while.

I am so thankful my daughter is sensitive to the needs and feelings of other children. We're blessed to have this beautiful girl as our firstborn!

4 comments:

Margaret and Cordel said...

SO beautiful...your little Elizabeth has such a beautiful heart!! What a joy!!!!!

Bill and Toni said...

What a godly young lady that sweet Elizabeth is!! Her story made me cry too.

HollyMarie said...

Hard stuff, isn't it? I pray Elizabeth keeps her sweet sensitive spirit with her always.

Chris and Chuck Keith said...

What a wonderful story of your girl. How awesome that she has a personal experience to help her independently think about what she will see, hear and learn outside of your home. Our God is an awesome God!